You're checking me out because you know me, and if you know me, well, enough said.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Fantasy galore

So I saw Hellboy: The Golden Army earlier this week and absolutely loved it. My fellow comic book buddy had joined me and said that realistic people like him, who liked relating to the source material would probably vouche for the first one, whereas idealistic people like me, who love diving into fantasy and letting their imagination run wild, would lean toward the second one. I'd say that's about right, for any Hellboy fan.

The first was a lot of back story and getting to know and understand the characters. There was more secrecy and possibility of Nazi-involvement in our current time, and it was intriguing, if somewhat silly by the end with the crazy squid creatures, but the second one was folk lore, plain and simple. Full of elves, fairies, and gods/goddesses, I have to say most of it is the director's doing, being similar to his fantastical creatures in Pan's Labyrinth (which I also loved!). But it worked, and it fit with the storyline and the mythology that is Hellboy. It worked, and the campy humor was well suited enough with a theme of being unaccepted and feared in society merely because you look different. Seriously, good stuff. The makeup, colors, and costumes were fabulous, and though it was made up between Mignola and del Toro, the original script worked to a proper whole. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves the fantasy genre.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.