You're checking me out because you know me, and if you know me, well, enough said.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Comic book movies galore!

Let's talk about movies! Has this been the summer for comic book movie adaptations or what? I just saw The Hulk, with Ed Norton, this past weekend and have to say, not bad. Not bad at all. This second version is much better than Ang Lee's version, which tried too hard to be a comic book-translated movie. Instead of all that origin mumbo jumbo that took up half the movie in Lee's version, this one showed what happened through the credits and the Hulk made his appearance within 2 minutes of the film. MUCH better. So it takes off with him on the run, and can I just add that I love Edward Norton. He's a great actor, and I'm sure he'd have loved being the actual big green guy instead of its CG version if he could have. I'm not spoiling anything, but at the end there's the General's meeting with Stark in the bar, and that's the plug that probably got movie goers in the theaters since Iron Man was so damn successful. And yes, yes it was.

Iron Man was fabulous. I loved Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark. Yes, I was skeptical, considering I hadn't seen him on screen in a while and thought he wasn't suave enough for the playboy. But I was wrong. He was perfectly cast and I loved every minute of the film, even if the origin story took a while - it was still great. I highly recommend you rent the DVD when it comes out (lest it's still in theaters, in which case, GO!). And that suit - gorgeous! I want one. If they cast a woman sidekick, I'm signing up just to get one of those things. So sign me up for the next sequels staring these two characters (and the possible forthcoming clash that may take place when they make the S.H.I.E.L.D. movie, that was alluded to by Stark at the end of The Hulk).

Okay, the big ones that are coming up next are Hellboy and The Dark Knight. Hellboy I have a soft spot for since I interviewed his creator, Mike Mignola, and because it was directed by Guillermo del Toro, who made Pan's Labyrinth (which I also loved). A big red guy with a tail carrying a big gun sounds just like my kind of movie. Throw in some supernatural stuff, like fairies and elves, and you've got me sold. It's not everyone's cup of tea (and my mom would be horrified to know I actually endorsed watching demons on the big screen), but it's bound to be sheer entertainment. Never mind that though, let's talk about The Dark Knight.

I am SO excited. I can't wait til next week. Movie theaters have a 6 a.m. feature on opening day - no, I'm not that crazy, but I am seeing it opening weekend. It's going to be the creepiest thing possible seeing Ledger on the big screen again, but I'm all about the rivalry and the battle between the two nemeses. I wrote a paper about Ledger for class that I'll post next. Based off of Alan Moore's The Killing Joke (which you must own if you are a Batman fan), the darker Batman takes center stage and it's simply going to be amazing. Wired magazine wrote an article for this month about how Batman was filmed specifically for the IMAX theater, so it gives the movie goer the full picture experience of Gotham City. Too bad I get queasy when I sit in one of those half dome theaters, or I'd be there. July 11th's Entertainment Weekly also has a feature about the film. Everyone who is a fan is on edge and awaits in anticipation. This is our event of the year! Next year I anticipate Alan Moore's The Watchmen (read it) making it on the big screen, but right now, my attention is focused entirely on the man of my comic book dreams.

No comments: